Currently, nearly 124,000 men, women and children are awaiting organ transplants in the United States. For specific numbers visit unos.org
- Approximately 77,633 Multicultural Patients*
- Approximately 2,146 Pediatric Patients*
- 29,532 Organ Transplants Performed in 2014
- 14,414 Organ Donors in 2014
- More than 47,000 corneas were transplanted in 2013
- More than 1 million tissue transplants are done each year and the surgical need for tissue has been steadily rising.
*Numbers compiled from May 2015
Organ Donation and Transplantation: How Does it Work? (Video) – This video, created by Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, explains the transplant waiting list, how someone becomes a donor, the process of matching organs and signing up to share the gift of life.